Piedmont Sulphur Springs & Hotel
The start of Piedmont Park:
History of Alameda County, California by Merritt, Frank Clinton
About 1876 an organization which called itself the Piedmont Springs Company, purchased from the Blair family approximately sixty acres of land. By good fortune a sulphur spring was discovered on the newly acquired tract, and the owners decided to erect a hotel. They knew that the establishment would be well patronized by San Franciscans. Accordingly before long, crowds from “the City” ; spent their leisure hours in the three-story frame building with its four adjacent cottages known as the Piedmont Springs Hotel. The beautiful gate to the Piedmont civic center now stands on ground occupied by this early structure. The hotel was supplied with fresh fruit and green vegetables from an orchard and garden which were planted on ground now occupied by the Piedmont High School. Elaborate stables were maintained by the hotel on the site of the Interdenominational Church of today. For years the hotel was the resort of horse fanciers, and in their prime the stables housed some of the finest steeds in the world. From the days of the Spanish to the close of the racetracks, fine horses were bred in California. The hotel in the old days also was the terminus of the telegraph line between the East Bay and Walnut Creek.
No historical record of Piedmont can be found, but several old settlers have kindly given us some authentic facts of interest. Although without the city limits, Piedmont Park and Springs is virtually an extension of Oakland. A portion of the Piedmont Park property originally belonged to Mr. Walter Blair , but he sold it to the “ Piedmont Land Company," and it now is included in the Park. “
The Piedmont Land Company" was incorporated April 14 , 1853, with Mr. James Gamble as its President, and five directors. Its object, as set forth in the original certificate, was to " engage in and carry on the business of buying and selling real estate in Alameda County," and to make such improvements as should be necessary.
Mr. James Gamble suggested the pretty name of Piedmont, derived from the Piedmontese hills of Italy, meaning " at the foot of the mountain ." No more appropriate name could be found. A hotel was built on the site of the present Club House, and the sulphur Springs were Piedmont Driveway. somewhat improved , blue gum trees were planted, and rustic seats were prepared. In those early days it became a very popular resort. At first the grounds were open to the public, but some years ago the tract passed into the hands of the Realty Syndicate, which company has made all the varied improvements mentioned at the commencement of this article. The original hotel was burned down, and the new modern Club -House is not only frequented by the public during the day, but is rented for private affairs, dinners, etc. , in the evening. In early days that portion of Piedmont known as Blair Park, was thronged by thousands on Sunday, when open- air con certs and balloon ascensions were given with a view to attracting the public. The present owners desire to keep the Park artistic and refined , and intend to make it the most beautiful pleasure ground in California.
From a Stanford Exhibit:
The present map is likely the same map that was filed on April 2, 1877 with the Alameda County Recorder. This example is nearly identical to the example held by the Bancroft, but does not include the number 27 at the top left corner in the inset map, and may in fact be an earlier version of the map. The map identifies Piedmont in its earliest inhabited days, showing the home of Walter Blair, Blair's Dairy, the Blair Quarry, and Sulpher Springs, along with the Piedmont Hotel and subdivision, early roads, proposed extension of the Oakland and Piedmont Street Railway, etc. The names of early land owners are shown. The map also includes pencil annotations showing proposed streets, and surveyor's information, reflecting its ownership by William F. Boardman, one Oakland's first City Engineers and one of Alameda County's first County Surveyors, who would remain one of the most important planning and development forces in the East Bay from the 1860s until the turn of the Century.
Map of Piedmont Park in 1871
In 1850, what is now Piedmont was part of Rancho San Antonio, owned by the Peralta family, and covered much of the northeastern shore of San Francisco Bay. Rancho San Antonio was sparsely populated except for cattle and their tenders. In 1860, retired South Carolinian Congressman Isaac Holmes bought a piece of land from his neighbor Reed. The area included Bushy Dell Creek, a creek that runs through the dog-walking trail of modern-day Piedmont.
In 1870, Walter Blair bought over 800 acres in the foothills of East Bay. Where the spring was located he built the Piedmont Springs Hotel, of 20 bedrooms and five dining rooms. The water of the spring was thought to have curative powers. Wealthy San Franciscans retired to the hotel during trips to "the country." In addition to the hotel, Blair built a dairy farm on what is now Highland Avenue and a quarry where Dracena Park is today.
In April 1877, James Gamble bought a 350 acre tract of land from Blair, and formed the Piedmont Land Company, along with James de Fremery, George W. Beaver, L.A. Booth, and T.L. Barker. The Piedmont Land Company hired landscape engineer William Hammond Hall to plan the avenues and subdivide the tract into 67 parcels. The first auction of land took place on April 10, 1877. As noted in the September 15, 1974 edition of the Oakland Tribune at page 62. William F. Boardman, the hardware salesman who educated himself as a civil engineer and became simultaneously Oakland city engineer and Alameda County surveyor. Boardman came to California in 1851 and spent seven years in the hardware business in San Francisco. [Later], he moved to Oakland where he lived until his death in 1906 at age 82. He held both the city engineer and county surveyor posts from 1864 to 1868 and assisted in the development of many public utilities and services in the area, including Contra Costa County Water Co.'s Lake Temescal Dam, San Leandro Dam and Central Pacific Railroad's main line from the Sierra Summit to Truckee.
Bushy Dell Creek went from the sulfur springs down into Piedmont Ave (now Magnolia Ave) and Bushy Dell Avenue (now Palm Drive) to Pleasant Valley Ave (now Grand Ave)
Oakland Tribune -Sat - Oct. 16, 1897
I should here mention that Blair's Park property should cover 450 acres, and was originally intended to be included in Piedmont Park, as it is shown on the first map, but Blair backed out of the arrangement. It was unfortunate for him that he did, tor he would have had his property improved and received a good price for it. Piedmont Park property has sold sold as high as $3,000 per acre in plots and about double that price in lots. The two tracts combined aggregate 800 acres.
In addition to what I have mentioned we are to have a park within a park, and this will be within a few hundred feet of the Sather tract. The Piedmont Springs Hotel tract, or that portion originally known as Bushy Dell, where the sulphur springs are located, is being highly improved, already water falls, cascades and rustic bridges are being made in the dell, and many rare plants and choice trees have been planted. In this tract there are thirty five acres, all of which is to be handsomely laid out in winding paths, grass plats and beautiful flowering plants. Of course there is something back of this. It means in the near future a handsome and commodious hotel where it will delight every Oaklander to take our visitors: where one can overlook all of this beautiful park, view the bay for thirty mlles north and south and see the ships sail out the Golden Gate. Where can you find anything to compare to it?
Facts that need to be researched more --> how and when the springs were found. This was from the Queen of the Hills book that sometimes doesn't have the most accurate facts. I will research more when libraries fully open most covid again:
Edward T. Planner discovered these facts about Piedmont -
Information from the Bancroft Library supposedly says:
"A group of white sulfur springs was 'discovered not long ago about two and one half miles from Oakland on the farm of Mr. Reed. As a matter of fact the springs were actually 're-discovered', as they had been found and used for the cure of rheumatism by the late Mr. Holmes formerly a prominent member of Congress from South Carolina. Mr. Holmes, having found by experience the curative valued of the water, took up his residence on this farm and finally purchased half of it. After his death the importance of the springs passed out of the minds of the few persons who had any knowledge if them.
"But not long ago (1869) a shrewd citizen of Oakland (name unknown), having an eye for attractive building locations, made and offered for the entire Reed farm and, while walking over it, discovered the old bathtub which Mr. Holmes had used in his self-treatment... The farmer related the incident about the former use of a spring down in the ravine nearby which had been thought by some to have valuable mineral properties. This casually described spring turned out, upon examination, to be several strong white sulphur springs within a few yards of each other. The largest threw out a good volume of water and left a light gray deposit in its course. The water smelled and tasted like that of the white sulphur springs near St. Helena in Napa County."
Oakland Tribune - Sun - Jun. 20, 1926:
On the northeast was Reed ranch, now Crocker highlands. On the south side were the Beard, Biglow and Gladding rachen on what we now know as Trestle Glen, Pleasant Valley, and Vernon Heights.
…William Blair, brother of Walter, brought the first eucalyptus and cypress trees to the district and planted them about the hills. Many of them are still standing, one, a larger eucalyptus stands in the civic center.
When the sulfur springs were discovered a tract of land was sold by the Blairs and a resort hotel was built where the entrance of Piedmont Park later existed.
Before the hotel was built, Photographer Eadweard Muybridge took a picture of Mark Twain and his visit in front of the gazebo-covered spring. In this picture Mark Twain is holding a cup of mineral water to the left of the child in the white dress.
Walter Blair hoped to capitalize on the curative powers of the water when he bought the park property. According to the newspaper, "The waters of these springs contain sulphur, magnesia, iodine and iron and are claimed by those who have used the waters to have great curative qualities for rheumatism, neuralgia, dyspepsia and kidney ailments." Blair bottled his mineral water and built a decorative gazebo over the spring where passersby could use a tin drinking cup. The gazebo features prominently in a photograph of Mark Twain circa 1869 when he was on a lecture tour in San Francisco and also appears on the cover of the prospectus for Piedmont Park tract in 1877.
Oakland Tribune - Sun - Nov. 15, 1959:
Whether or not Mark Twain's visit to the Piedmont Springs was a publicity stunt of the late 1860's dreamed up by the discoverers of those sulphur waters, or a legitimate outing by a group of literary-minded residents of our early Bay Area Region is now rather difficult to ascertain.
The Daily Bee - Mon - May 10, 1875
A directory of the city of Oakland and its environs, including Alameda, Berkeley and Temescal by Langley, Henry G, Publication date 1872:
There are two beautiful drives leading to Piedmont Springs, five miles from Oakland, by way of Broadway or Webster streets or out Twelfth Street to the Lake Road, with finger boards at all cross roads directing the way. From the Piedmont Springs Hotel, which offers every attraction for the comfort and enjoyment of its patrons, perhaps the finest and most complete view of the bay and its surroundings is obtained, while the Bushy Dell, hard by, is a ravine filled with a luxuriant growth of shrubbery and trees; this is a most delightful and romantic spot, with excellent made walks running through it. In this dell the sulphur springs are situated, of which there are three, flowing eight hundred gallons of water per hour, strongly impregnated with sulphur, magnesia, and iron. They have medicinal properties of great value. No place of resort can be more favorably recommended to the notice of our Eastern visitors, while the city man out of health will find them very conveniently situated. From Piedmont there are good roads running through the mountains, and there is a labyrinth of pleasant drives. The mountain scenery is very fine, and it is difficult to realize that so great a change can be found in a half hour's ride from Oakland.
From the San Francisco Morning Call -
Sunday, March 22, 1891. Page 8:
Glimpses of a Region of Delightful Hollies.
The Piedmont Cable Company and Its Enterprise --
The Attractions at Blair's Park. Views of Surpassing Grandeur.
The ranch including which was long known as Bushy Dell, on account of the wooded and romantic character of the ravine or glen in which the springs are situated, were known in early days and were already then much resorted to. It was these springs that first made Piedmont a favorite. Finally in 1868, 1869 and 1870 there was somewhat of a "boom," and Piedmont lands began to be sought after. This died away, however, and, except that the springs were always popular, but little attention was paid to the locality.
The progressive history of Piedmont may be said to have had its commencement with the formation in 1877 of the Piedmont Land Company, composed of James Gamble (President), James de Fremery. George W. Beaver, L. A. Booth and T. L. Barker, all well-known and prominent citizens. They owned a considerable tract of land at Piedmont since the time already named. Having thorough confidence in the future and, moreover, possessing the courage and the means to accomplish their purpose, these gentlemen summoned William Hammond Hall, the distinguished civil and landscape engineer, to the task of laying out and subdividing the property. This he did, with the assistance of M. G. King, C.E., of Oakland. To their labors is due the admirable method upon which Piedmont is planned, with its winding avenues which follow the natural undulations of the ground and add artificial grace to the high inherent beauties of the spot. Upon the completion of this work the property found ready sale, and many handsome and elegant residences arose within the parklike region. To this company is also owing the fact that Piedmont is so admirably supplied with water. In addition to the numerous springs which break forth spontaneously at different points the main pipes of the Contra Costa Water Company are led through the section, the connection being made with the main reservoir in the mountains, affording a head of water of great strength. A horse-car line supplied access.
1871, THE HOTEL:
The Overland Monthly 1901:
A hotel was built on the site of the present Club-House, and the sulfur springs were somewhat improved, blue gum trees were planed, and rustic seats were prepared. In those early days it became a very popular resort. At first the grounds were open to the public, but some years ago the tract passed into the hands of the Realty Syndicate, which company has made all the varied improvements mentioned at the commencement of this article.
Piedmont Post, July 15, 2020:
(Need to research more facts of the hotel)
The hotel had a wide veranda, 20 first-class bedrooms and 2 suites, 5 dining rooms, telegraph service, and a Grand Saloon (for men only) with an elegant mahogany bar, billiard table, spittoons and a pot-bellied stove. The ladies’ entrance allowed women to enter the hotel, avoid the saloon and proceed directly to the main dining room with its crystal chandelier, linen tablecloths and fine china. The hotel quickly became a popular destination and drew visitors who passed a pleasant Sunday at Piedmont Springs, strolling the meandering paths to the mineral springs and enjoying an excellent lunch or dinner. The dining rooms served fresh meat from nearby ranches, milk and butter from Blair’s Dairy, and fresh fruit and vegetables from its gardens. The hotel also offered fine wine and liquor for those who did not care for mineral water.
S. F. Newsletter (1881-82), p19:
Piedmont Springs, Alameda County, undoubtedly constitute one of the most delightful suburban resorts to be found around San Francisco. They are located within about three miles of the city of Oakland, in the center of beautiful rural surroundings, and in a most salubrious and pleasant climate. The water of the Springs themselves possesses a great many medicinal properties, but it is as a pleasure resort and a country residence, rather than as a sanitarium, that these Springs will be found most useful. The hotel is kept by Mr. Frank Smith, who seems to be a most accomplished and experienced caterer. It is kept in apple-pie order ; the beds are comfortable and clean, and the rooms are neat and tidy and elegantly furnished. The table is first-class, and the best that the market affords is cooked and served in a manner that is calculated to tempt the appetite of an epicure. The wine cellar is stocked with the very best of beverages, which are sold at moderate prices, and all the appurtenances and appointments of the place are elegant and refined. For the cooped up denizens of the city, who are obliged to be at their places of business every day, there could be no more convenient country residence than the Piedmont Springs Hotel. The trip there only consumes about an hour and a quarter, by boat and car, and is itself a delightful excursion through bewitching scenery. The tram-cars leave Washington street, Oakland, for the Springs every half-hour on Saturdays and Sundays, and every hour on other days of the week. The hotel rates are as low as those of any first-class hotel could possibly be, and everything that can possibly be done for the comfort and convenience of the guests is done. Those who are looking for a convenient country residence for the Summer months should give this place a trial.
Oakland Tribune - Sat - Oct. 16, 1897:
I should here mention that Blair's Park property should cover 450 acres, and was originally intended to be included in Piedmont Park, as it is shown on the first map, but Blair backed out of the arrangement. It was unfortunate for him that he did, for he would have had his property improved and received a good price for it. Piedmont Park property has sold as high as $3,000 per acre in plots and about double that price in lots. The two tracts combined aggregate 800 acres.
In addition to what I have mentioned we are to have a park within a park, and this will be within a few hundred feet of the Sather tract. The Piedmont Springs Hotel tract, or that portion originally known as Bushy Dell, where the sulfur springs are located, is being highly improved already water falls, cascades and rustic bridges are being made in the dell, and mare rare plants and choice trees have been planted. In this tract there are thirty-five acres, all of which is to be handsomely laid out in the winding paths, grass plants and beautiful flowering plants. Of course there is something back of this. It means in the near future a handsome and commodious hotel will delight every Oaklander to take our visitors; where one can overlook all of this beautiful park, view the bay for thirty miles north and south and see the ships sail out of the Golden Gate. Where can you find anything to compare to it?
Oct. 15, 1897
The San Francisco Call - Sun - Mar. 22, 1891
"The house is well-kept, strictly first-class, and there is an entire absence of that disorderly and most undesirable element that is sometimes found about places of public resort."
The ultimate Victorians of the continental side of San Francisco Bay by Richey, Elinor
Publication date 1970:
The new foothills suburb of Piedmont was skillfully promoted by the Piedmont Land Company for its exclusiveness, but also as a "hillside health district," on the strength of a sulphur spring that bubbled near a resort hotel in a picturesque ravine called the "Bushy Dell" that was popular with courting couples. Minimized was Piedmont's abundance of coyotes, which prowled the early estate's lawns and gardens, and the acute shortage and costliness of water, which prompted even the rich to ration their children to two baths a week, often two to a tub.
The Oakland Tribune - Wed - Apr. 29, 1891
Beer Gardens, Bills and an almost lethal brawl:
The San Francisco Examiner - Fri - Nov. 18, 1892:
(Feb. 3, 1892) F. M. Smith, the borax king, bought the hotel and twenty-six acres of land surrounding it and later transferred the property to Mutual Investment Union, of which he is president for $75,000, J. D. was lessee of the hotel at that time, but soon afterward Smith made a new lease to F. D Black and J. B. Marvin of San Francisco. The partners had a difficulty and the question of who owned the lease caused a six months' battle in court. The suit was decided by giving Black the hotel for a year and then transferring it to Marvin. When Marvin came into possession about a year ago he had to fight all Piedmont before the Board of Supervisors to get his license to conduct a saloon on the premises, and even after the license was granted many threats were made against the place.
The Oakland Tribune - Wed - Apr. 29, 1891:
Marvin opened a broadside on his once friend, Black, and asked for a restraining order preventing Black from selling liquor at the Piedmont Hotel on the ground that he secured his license through fraud, and on further ground that the business at the hotel will be injured by the sale of liquor... Hugh Craig (and other residents)....deposed that they are residents if Piedmont and are among the nearest to the Piedmont Hotel. In their opinion the sale of liquor at a public bar at the hotel is conducive to intoxication and disorder not easily controlled, being removed from police protection, and therefore adverse in its effect in maintaining the character of the hotel as a desirable first-class resort for families and others seeking quiet entertainment.
San Francisco Chronicle on Jan. 17, 1892 said a beer garden and concert hall was going to be built at the Piedmont Hotel grounds, to the right of the cable terminal.
San Francisco Chronicle - Fri - Mar. 25, 1892:
(The Mutual Investment Union) desired to build a dozen cottages on the land for rent. Mr. Marvin objected to this, but said he would consent to the building of a large hotel on the hill... As Marvin was behind in the rent the corporation served him with three days' notice to quit the place... Now a suit is contemplated to oust Marvin.
Alameda Daily Argus on Jun. 9, 1892 reported that Marvin was shot by his barkeeper of the hotel.
Nov 16, 1892, 9:30am,
The 20 year old hotel burns down
At the time Piedmont did not have a fire department and it would take hours to get a truck with water on the scene.
Oakland Tribune - Thu - Nov. 17, 1892:
The insurance on the Piedmont Springs Hotel expired November 1st. James B. Marvin regrets this now. For 20 years the old house had stood, and during two decades the Bohemian life of Oakland had enjoyed its hospitality.
...Mrs. Marvin occupied room 7 and at 9:15 o'clock this morning she was startled at a peculiar crackling in the chimney. She at once gave the alarm as the fire gained headway and the smoke oozed through the shingles of the roof the neighbors saw the smoke and hastened to the scene...
The absence of any water supply left the occupants of the doomed building no other recourse than to sit down in the shade and watch the building burn.
The San Francisco Examiner - Mon - Nov. 21, 1892:
J. B. Marvin, lessee of the Piedmont Springs Hotel property, has erected a large tent on the grounds adjoining the wreck of the burned hotel, and in it has constructed a rude bar, over which some of the liquors and cigars saved from the flames will be doled out to anybody that may want them.
On the day succeeding the fire agents of the Pacific Mutual Investment Union, which owns the hotel grounds, visited the premises, and a few hours after their departure carpenters put in an appearance and began inclosing the grounds with a fence. All Marvin's goods and chattels which were not destroyed in the fire had been taken off the property by the latter's employees, so the building of the fence lets the owners in absolute possession.
Oakland Tribune - Tue - Aug. 15, 1893:
J.B. Martin retires from Piedmont Springs.
Need for a Piedmont Resort
The San Francisco Examiner - Thu - Jan. 3, 1895:
People People Are Indignant Over a Proposed Innovation and Intend to Protest
The aristocratic precinct of Piedmont has been invaded and the residents are mourning over the prospect of soon having a "resort" in the midst. A structure to be used as a hotel, lodging-house and "pavilion" is building on the property of Mrs. E. K. Loring on Vernal (now Highland) Avenue, and each day the villa owners in the vicinity become more unhappy as they see it nearing completion.
The Piedmontese are people of culture, wealth and society, who moved out to the foothills in order to enjoy life in secluded English fashion. From the first their intension was to keep Piedmont strictly a residence free place, and the property owners are not only agitated but surprised that the provisions of the Piedmont Land Company admit of such innovation as a cheap hotel, with ordinary beer, shuffleboard and Sunday excursion attachments.
The original owners of Piedmont were Messers. De Fremery, Gamble, Barker and Booth. These men formed a syndicate, Incorporated as the Piedmont Land Company and put the property on the market.
...The Piedmont Land Company took a pronounced stand, one of the incorporated principals being that no deed to land should be given without the proviso that no liquor should be sold on the ground.
...Mrs. Loring's property is directly opposite the old hotel site.
The hotel was never built by Mrs. Loring, it could be because her daughter ran off with the "woodchopper" according to The San Francisco Examiner on Apr 20, 1897.
Oakland Tribune - Thu - Mar. 24, 1898:
The Piedmont Development Company, an adjunctly of the Realty Syndicate (Frank C Havens), intends to build a club house on the site of the old Piedmont Springs Hotel, which was burned down. It will be a rusting building finished in a picturesque fashion. Refreshments will be served, and a small admission fee will be charged for entrance to the grounds.